Week 17: A Creative Autobiography

• What’s the first creative moment that you remember?

The earliest creative moment I can recall is from when I was 5 years old. My mother was a child-minder so I was regularly interacting with other children. Me and one of the children my mother looked after, a boy called Ross, were watching 'The Rugrats' on TV. I watched how at the beginning of each episode 'The Rugrats' would unlock the playpen they'd been kept in with a screwdriver and embark on an adventure. It's from this that I created a game where me and Ross would take turns to pretend to unlock the outside gate leading to the garden by standing on each others backs and using a plastic screwdriver to pretend to open it then pushing it open ourselves. We'd then continue by running outside and playing generic childhood games. This activity became a daily ritual between the two of us functioning as an indicator that we were about to embark on our own adventures. 

• Was anyone there to witness or appreciate it?
There is old videos of me and ross doing this and it is still something both him and my parents bring up regularly.

• What’s the best idea you’ve ever had?
The best idea I have ever had was to throw my sister a 'welcome home' party after she returned from her 3-month travels round Thailand. I organised for the family to come round on the day of her arrival and helped arrange snack and cakes with photos of her travels on.

•What made it great in your mind?

Bringing all the family together is what made this idea great in my mind; everyone was so happy to see my sister back home (very overwhelming for my mother) and I knowing that it made my sister feel appreciated.

•Does anyone in your life regularly inspire you?

I am inspired regularly by my parents. I didn't realise how much they sacrifice for me before I moved out and came to university. Even though I am no longer living at home they continue to provide for me in whatever means necessary. If I have any kind of issue they are there without judgement. An example of this is; I recently went to the gym and had my stuff including my passport, purse, clothes etc. stolen from my gym locker. My initial reaction was to not tell my parents as I don't like to burden them and consider myself to be independent and responsible for sorting myself out. Albeit, when applying for a new passport I had to attain the information from my parents passport in order to complete the form. I was anxious about telling my parents my situation as I didn't want them to think I was irresponsible. I rang up my mother and was overwhelmed by her reaction. She showered me with concern and support and was extremely upset that I was not able to tell her sooner. She then sent me money to pay for a new passport and drove to Manchester the following day with my Dad and took me out for a meal. It is from these interactions with my parents that show me how self-sacrificing and considerate they are in a way that makes me want to treat others in the same respect.

•What is your greatest dream for your life?

I don't know if I would consider it my 'greatest dream' but the one thing I am looking forward to the most out of my life is having children. I am constantly surrounded by children with my mother being a child-minder and their complete innocence and openness is something that really amazes me to the point where I cannot wait to have my own - no time soon! I love the idea of having a little mini-me and being able to revert back to my own childhood of bedtime reading and make-believe.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Four

Week Five

Week 18: Assignment 2